Jerry Maleka started his career as an accountant at Mothusi Investments a diversified investment company with a large portfolio in hospitality, mining, property and retail after having obtained a B.Com degree in Finance from the University of Lesotho in 1991.
In 1993 he joined Tiger African Distributors a subsidiary of Tiger Brands as an assistant sales manager being responsible for the coordination between sales, warehousing and distribution department. He gained invaluable experience in inventory management; and costing models, analysis of the sales department’s performance and cost containment models. He was later promoted to sales manager responsible for a team of 7 sales representatives operating in the FMCG industry. His area of focus was:
- Driving growth, profitability, and market development
- Implementation of sales strategy
- Establishment of new distribution channels.
- Evaluating each and every sales campaign to see what new opportunities are available in the region.
- Planning company’s sales campaigns,
- Developing the skills of the sales team
In 1995 Jerry started Botho-Ubuntu Foods (Pty) Ltd. a company that distributed food products to retail stores around Gauteng. The company also distributed food parcels to the poor households around Gauteng under the National Nutrition Development Program. He also started JW Maleka Transport and Distribution, a company that was appointed as a distribution agency for Nestle South Africa. In 2004 JW Maleka Transport and Mtshali Distributors CC merged to form Phanda Logistics (Pty) Ltd where he was managing director of the company. He gained invaluable experience in the cold chain supply management. The Company employed 50 employees and serviced around 1200 retail stores including major chain stores around Gauteng. His duties and responsibilities:
- Accountable for the overall performance of the company and for the day-to-day running and management of the business with a specific focus on administration, finance and payroll management, distribution and repair and maintenance of vehicles and warehousing as well as the cold chain facility management.
- Develop the strategic and annual business plans
- Manage, motivate, develop and lead members of the management team
- Manage resources efficiently and effectively to achieve the company’s objectives• Take a leadership role in establishing or developing the company’s culture and values
In 2009 he founded Okurokha Management Services (Pty) Ltd., a business consulting firm with a focus on financial management and advisory services. Jerry has been consulting to a number of companies in the field of financial management. He worked on projects such as:
- Uthukela Electronics and Zululand Agro-Processing Industrial Hubs – KZN DEDTEA
Part of a team developing the financial feasibility studies, business and implementation plans for the development of the Uthukela Electronics and Zululand Agro-Processing economic hubs on behalf of Kwa-Zulu Natal Department of Economic Development Tourism and Environmental Affairs.
- Limpopo Integrated Poultry Project – Legakwe Investment Holdings
Jerry was one of the lead financial consultants developing a business plan for the integrated poultry production facility in Limpopo. His role was to lead the financial team in developing the financial business plan and making an analysis on the viability of the project.
- Innovation Hub Lesotho – Arup
Jerry worked with Arup on the feasibility study for the development of an innovation hub in Lesotho. He was a member of the team tasked with the development of a Business Plan, an Integrated Master plan and Implementation plan for the Innovation Hub development, on behalf of The Lesotho National Development Cooperation (Pty) Ltd (LNDC). His role was on the financial modelling for the property development.
In 2017 Jerry was appointed non-executive director Domain Name Services (Pty) Ltd, a technical service provider for the South African Central Registry (ZACR) the manager for the various .ZA second level domains, such as co.za, net.za, org.za and web.za.
SUMMARY OF SKILLS
- Financial Management
- Project Management
- Change Management
- People Management
- B Com Accounts
- Certificate in Logistics Management
- 2011 BizMetrics – Executive Coaching
Contact Jerry Maleka:
Please note: Communications sent here are received by the ISPA secretariat and forwarded to the relevant office bearer where appropriate.