Apply for ISPA membership
You can apply for ISPA membership by clicking here. However before you do so, please ensure that you have read the membership application guidelines below, which explain the basic requirements for membership, the categories and fee structure.
Once you have completed and submitted the membership form to the ISPA Secretariat, the application will be subjected to a cursory inspection to ensure that the basic requirements are met.
Thereafter you will be billed an application fee equivalent to a three-month membership fee. Once the payment has been received you will be placed in a provisional category and requested to do the following:
- Ensure that you have sufficient information on your web site to indicate that you offer relevant Internet services.
During this period, you will receive limited information from ISPA. We will however make every effort to assist you in becoming compliant.
After 30-days have passed, your company’s level of compliance will be assessed and a reminder sent to the primary contact person within your organisation.
If you have not complied fully with the ISPA Code within a three-month period, your application will be declined and removed from the provisional category. In addition the application fee paid will be forfeited.
If you however comply within this period, then no membership fee will be charged for the ensuing three-months and your application will then be sent to ISPA’s Operations Committee for ratification. The final stage of the approval process takes approximately 2-3 working days.
There are four categories of ISPA membership:
Guidelines for selecting an appropriate category
The following guidelines should be used by members when selecting an appropriate membership category. It should be stressed that these are guidelines and that members are responsible for self-classification.
- Members with offices and infrastructure in only one city or location should choose the Small member category.
- Members with offices and/or infrastructure in more than one city should choose at least the Medium member category.
- Members with offices and/or infrastructure in three or more major centers should choose at least the Large member category.
- Members who have a strong long-term commitment to supporting the Internet industry, as well as a significant national
- presence are invited to consider choosing the Backbone member category.
Voting versus non-voting members
Anyone providing Internet services in South Africa is welcome to apply for ISPA membership. However, only members in the business of providing Internet access or operating Internet infrastructure qualify as voting members. Where it is uncertain whether or not a particular member qualifies as a voting member, the Board of ISPA, in its sole discretion, shall make a determination.
Persons (natural or legal) or organisations active in the Internet industry, but who do not qualify as voting members may join ISPA as non-voting members. Some examples of potential non-voting members are:
- Individuals providing Internet consulting services
- Internet security, cryptography, authentication and certification providers
- Web site or online content developers
- Internet training providers
Those who provide Internet access or infrastructure as an adjunct to an existing business (such as hot spot hosts) may elect in which category they wish to apply, with suitable motivation.
Membership fees – Effective as of 1 June 2019 :
|Membership Category||Excl. VAT||VAT||Total|
Note: Small members can choose to pay fees monthly, or annually in advance. The annual fee is a discounted rate equal to only ten monthly payments.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact the Secretariat at: email@example.com or on 010 226 9516.
Code of Conduct compliance
In terms of ISPA’s Code of Conduct, new members of ISPA have 30 days from the date of acceptance of their membership application to become compliant with the ISPA Code of Conduct.
Thus, ISPA requires that organisations applying for membership must have a functioning web site when they submit their application for membership.